[Cartoweb-users] Large Mapping Layers in Cartoweb

Paul Shapley p.shapley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 10:55:59 EDT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paul Shapley <p.shapley at gmail.com>
Date: 07-Apr-2006 15:22
Subject: Large Mapping Layers in Cartoweb
To: cartoweb-users at lists.maptools.org

 Hi All,

What is the best way to handle large raster and vector mapping types such as
'shapefiles' and 'geotiff' or 'png' images in Cartoweb 3.2. I have a 300mb
shapefile i would like to use and some advice would be grateful in terms of
getting the best performance when scrolling around the map.

Would PostgreSQL and PostGIS replicate the functions of ArcSDE?...if so how?

I could just focus on a small area of the shapefile but this is not really
practical.

Regards,

Paul