[Cartoweb-users] Trying to create a new language translation

Giorgio Plazzotta plazzotta at tiscalinet.it
Wed Feb 1 08:37:02 EST 2006

Hello,
I am going on with Cartoweb also thanx the good guide and the help of people
of the list.
Now the next step for me was trying to create or get an italian version of
the demo. Let's say to start from the well done democw3 sample. I am trying
to do this in Windows Xp.
I checked the php.ini file and both php_gettext.dll and php_curl.dll
extensions are loaded therefore i suppose gettext should be available.
I cannot use the testgettext.php program cause it is made for Linux.
I know that to modify the existing translation files  i have to edit or
create new .po files such as client.en.po or a new client.it.po and they are
in the projects/democw3/po folder. I didn't study the contents of these .po
files but i think that they contain the reference to most of the text to be
translated inside the application.

The manual then say to launch the php scripts that are contained in the
/scripts folder. It's not specified unix or windows so i suppose that being
php files they will work on both.
I tried to launch po2mp.php or server2pot.php in order to recreate the .MO
files. But how? I tried both calling those files from the web browser and
also from the dos command prompt, the manual doesn't say how to do.
>From the browser nothing happens but if i launch those commands from the
command prompt i get these errors:
"xgettext" is not recongnized as an internal or external command, an
exacutable program or a batch file. and later the same for msmerge.

Why do i get this error, what is wrong? can u give me suggestions to
understand better the things to do in order to compile new .mo files?

Thanx
Giorgio

ps. of course if i will be able to produce compiled files in italian and
there can be helpful for the prject manager i will be glad to send them.