[Cartoweb-users] Installation of gettext

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Fri Jan 6 05:34:44 EST 2006

Hello,

I had the same problem than you, with the test scripts saying that Gettext was not installed correctly. I think that, at least for me, the problem came from the fact that Cartoweb uses two letters codes for the language, such as de, en or fr, whereas my system (Debian Testing) uses longer locale names, such as fr_FR or fr_FR at euro.

Here is how I fixed it :
- in /usr/share/i18n/locales, added a symbolic link "fr" pointing to "fr_FR at euro" :
ln -s fr_FR at euro fr

- added a line to /etc/locale.gen (editing /etc/locale.alias does not seem to be enough) :
fr ISO-8859-15

- run locale-gen.

After doing this, the sh and php tests say "Gettext is OK, well done !", and the version of the demo project in French becomes available.

Happy new year to all, and big thanks to those that brought us Cartoweb.

Best regards,

Jean-Guilhem