[Cartoweb-users] Problems : Edit toolbar an different scale on PDF

Alexandre Saunier alexandre.saunier at camptocamp.com
Thu Oct 19 05:38:06 EDT 2006

Laurent Jégou wrote:

> Second, the scale of the mainmap object of the generated PDF is lightly
> different (greater) from the cartoweb map. I've tested the exportPDF.ini
> configurations of the demos, but with no change.
>
> The test is accessible at :
> http://www.geotests.net/cwvn/htdocs/vietnam.php

Hello,

I have printed a PDF from your application linked above (scale
1:2'500'000) and the result is almost perfect. On the paper I have
measured a scalebar length of 11.4 cm which corresponds to 285 km at
scale 1:2'500'000 and the scalebar indicates a max milestone at 284 km.

Please note that when paper-printing the PDF map you have to make sure
that your PDF viewer does not try to resize the PDF to fit the paper
size. In my Acrobat Reader for Linux I had to uncheck the options
"shrink oversized pages to paper size" and "expand small pages to paper
size".
It's a known issue when paper-printing PDF maps:
http://cartoweb.org/cwiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#head-9f78f47806894d11ac46c25eead79e3abf9c3174

On the other hand I have noticed that in your web interface (CartoWeb),
the scalebar size is incorrect at least on my screen: there's a 96/72
ratio between the max milestone value of the scalebar (276 km at scale
1:2'500'000) and what I measure with a plastic graded ruler (8.3 cm =>
207 km).
That's because my screen resolution is 96 dpi whereas your mapserver
resolution is quite likely 72 dpi (default value if not explicitely
specified in mapfile). If you want to match with most modern screens, add
RESOLUTION 96 within your MAP object in your mapfile.

AS