[Cartoweb-users] Using junctions (windows symbolic links ) todeploy CartoWeb project

Loïc Devaux devloic at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 08:38:32 EDT 2007

Hi Oliver,

Windows 2000/XP  (don't know about Vista) doesn't support symbolic-links
to files , that's true, but it is possible to have symbolic links to
....... directories using NTFS junction points and that's what the
script is about.
It is not recommended to delete the symbolic links like any other
directory (although I did that plenty of times and nothing bad happened)
but to use the tool they were created with , here junction.exe. Again,
the script is using junction.exe to delete things cleanly.

 From what I read, hard links and symbolic links are not officially
supported (except for Vista ?) although Windows uses them internally.

More info about junction.exe here :
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Junction.mspx

and windows symbolic links and hard links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_link