[Cartoweb-users] RSS feeds and Cartoweb-mapserver data requests

Oliver Christen oliver.christen at camptocamp.com
Fri Sep 14 03:29:52 EDT 2007

As I said, Cartoweb is an enhanced user interface to interact with geodata.
Cartoweb needs Mapserver.
Mapserver is the map generating engine.
Geoserver is a bit like Mapserver but maybe easier to use for wms/wfs
services, but, quoting from the page I gave you the link a moment ago: "It
is used in conjunction with clients such as, OpenLayers (for web pages),
Google Earth, UDig, GVSig and others. "

I have never used UDig or GVSig so I dont know what kind of possibilities
they offer.

Anyway, you can certainly set up a Cartoweb/Mapserver on a server, use
Cartoweb for easy client interaction (queries, data editing, etc..) and
access Mapserver directly for WMS/WFS.

I dont know the exact difference between Mapserver and Geoserver, though
Mapserver offer more flexibility with layers handling while Geoserver has a
webinterface for configuration and map creation. Thats all I know.