[Cartoweb-users] Cartoweb and Google Maps

Oliver Christen oliver.christen at camptocamp.com
Mon Jul 14 05:50:15 EDT 2008

Hi

This is not possible. GoogleMap and OpenLayers are pure client application
and the data is accessed directly via javscript from the user browser.
Cartoweb load it's map data from a server via mapserver.
Meaning if you wanted the Google Maps, they should be available via wms so
mapserver could retrieve them, which is not the case.

Now, it could be possible to modify Cartoweb dhtml so it load Google Map as
a background div and then load the image sent by mapserver above it. But you
would need to link all the navigations functions (zoom, pan) to the Google
Maps API.
That would be a lot of work and Im not sure it would really be worth it.

An inbetween possibility would be to allow the user to switch between
GoogleMaps and mapserver map (one above the other)
After all, it would simply be two <div> elements with display:none/block
respectively, that should be fairly easy to implement (I presume, I have not
tried)