MapTools.org

[Chameleon-dev] Questions relative to Chameleon meeting January 14 th 2004

Normand Savard nsavard@dmsolutions.ca
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:47:29 -0500
Paul,

I have a few questions concerning Chameleon's meeting held January 14 th
2004.

1-Unit tests:

We said that there is no unit test to build for Chameleon core.
Correct?  If yes, how can it be possible?

2-Script test

Three major functionalites need to be tested:

  -Widget loading
  -Widget parsing
  -Widget rendering.

We need to build script tests to verify these three main
functionalities.  Is this correct?

3-During June meeting, you discussed with other developers about how
widgets should be made of:  simple HTML or HTML with Javascript
functions.  For this purpose you decided to Are we going to have such
distinction?  Are we going to test these two widget types separately?

4-The widgets documentation on "http://www.maptools.org" specifies "Form
Element", "Javascript Element" and "Javascript Variable".  I have a
basic understanding of what each one of these parameters means but is it
possible to have a deeper explanations?  I think we should never talk
about new terms without introducing them in a kind of "dictionary".

5-Could we use code covering tool for unit tests?  I was reading chapter
13 from Dave's book (Creating a software engineering culture) and it is
said:  "Testing less than 100% statement coverage for new software is
unconscionable and should be criminalized.".  I know that this a
theorical view.  And I know that Daniel said that it would be impossible
because we do not know where to stop (our code is calling other library
and so on).  But could we set some code boundaries restriction to our
code uniquely?

Norm