[Chameleon-dev] more cvs restructuring

Paul Spencer pagameba at magma.ca
Fri Oct 8 10:55:39 EDT 2004

All,

just prior to releasing beta 3, I am going to make one more major
modification to cvs structure.  This will involve creation of an
experimental folder in which all widgets that we are not fully testing
and documenting will go.  This change will happen today, after 13:00PM EST.

As with the last change, anyone who has changes to commit should do so
before this restructuring.

There will be a new configuration item in chameleon.xml to enable
inclusion of the experimental widgets.  The default value in the
chameleon.xml-dist will be to disable these widgets.

The purpose of this change is to make it clear to users of chameleon
(and specifically developers of applications) which widgets are
considered stable and which are not fully tested.  As our internal QA
processes go through each of the widgets, they will be moved to the main
widgets directory.

In the future, this separation will no longer be necessary as widgets
will be grouped together in widget packs that will have a separate
release cycle from the core of chameleon.  Until that time, however, it
is important to make this distinction.

Note that widgets in the experimental branch are not necessarily unsafe.
  They are likely to be fully function and useful.  But we haven't gone
through a thorough QA process on them.

Cheers,

Paul