MapTools.org

[Chameleon] legend for non-WMS sources

Paul Spencer spencer@dmsolutions.ca
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:55:08 -0500
Jacob,

regarding legends and WMS, this is a known issue in mapserver that will
likely get resolved for the next MapServer release as part of the work
we are doing now on SLD support.

Using contexts will only exaggerate this issue since it is entirely WMS
based.  As you are using Chameleon 1.1/2.0, using a mapfile is actually
the only way that you can get the legend to work properly.

Um.  It now occurs to me that I don't know what exactly your problem is.

It is possible to produce useable legends in both CWC2 (Chameleon 1.0)
and Chameleon 1.1.  In Chameleon 1.1 you should be using the
LegendTemplate widget.  This widget uses MapServer legend templates (see
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc40/html-legend-howto.html) which are
very flexible and allow you to build an astonishing range of legends.

The LegendTemplate widget does allow you to control layer visibility
too.  You need to use a specific name for your per-layer checkboxes
(legendlayername[] I think, check the legend_template_widget.html in the
chameleon/htdocs directory for an example).

If you are currently getting a legend, but cannot get class or layer
images, that is simply a matter of setting up the template correctly
(which I would encourage you to use the mapserver users list for support).

If you cannot get any legend at all using the LegendTemplate widget, let
me know what it is you are trying to do, including sending the widget
tag you are using and the legend template file.

Please file a bug in the Chameleon bugzilla regarding the production
widget.  But check first to see if it has already been reported.