MapTools.org

[Chameleon] upcoming Chameleon stuff

Paul Spencer spencer@dmsolutions.ca
Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:09:47 -0500
Listers,

there have been a couple of questions lately about when the next version
of Chameleon will be available and I thought I would attempt to answer
these and other questions with a quick email ... now that I look at it,
its longer than I intended.  Keep reading, there is good information in
here somewhere ;)

As most of you know, we have been diligently working on a new version of
Chameleon.  The new version has been more than a year in the making ...
which is odd because all the changes we intended to make were done in
the first month or so :)

Initially we intended the next version to be version 1.1.  The intention
was to improve performance of the core engine and to begin to look at
the performance of individual widgets.  This was a modest goal and
warrented only a sub-version number increase.  The changes we made to
the core engine ended up requiring changes to most existing widgets,
which necessitating more extensive testing.  Unfortunately (or perhaps
fortunately) the new version became popular before it was stable enough
to be released, and we started building new projects on it.  The thought
at the time was to stabilize individual widgets as they were required by
the projects that needed them, and after some time we would be ready for
a release.  I guess that we are just now nearing the end of that process.

As we have proceeded, there have been more significant changes to
Chameleon that were not planned when we started thinking of version 1.1.
  This is not the best way to plan software, but we had to adapt to the
realities of business along the way.  In any case, the changes have now
been significant enough, and Chameleon is sufficiently different from
the original 1.0 version, that we have decided it deserves a new major
version number.  To forstall confusion on this front, I will explain how
the next Chameleon release (and future releases) will be versioned.

Version x.0 is the initial stable release.  If there was a previous
major version, then x will be one greater than the previous version.

Version x.0.x is a bug fix release, no new features should be introduced.

Version x.1 is the development version where new features will be added
following the x.0 release.

Version x.2 is the next stable release containing new features.

All odd-numbered minor version numbers represent development versions,
and all even-numbered minor version numbers represent stable versions.

When we are ready to move from version x to version x+1 because of
significant changes in features, there will be an x.99 release.  This
release will probably be called a 'community release' or something like
that.  It will be considered a stable release of the code, but will be
lacking in some non-functional areas like documentation.  Once we have
completed all the other work, and gathered feedback from users on
quality, we'll release a x+1.0 release.

So, the next version of Chameleon that you will see officially released
will be version 1.99 to be followed by a 2.0 release a few months later
(give or take).  In the next couple of weeks I hope to put out a beta
version of 1.99 and then a couple of weeks after that I hope to put out
a first release candidate.  If there are no significant issues then the
1.99 release will happen sometime in May.

So what's new in Chameleon 1.99?  I'm working on documenting that, but
the short answer is not much and everything :)  The biggest change has
been the move from a service instance model to a map-file-based model.
The use of templates is essentially the same, but now there are a great
many new widgets available thanks to funding from a number of sources.

I will be attempting to divide widgets up into 'Packs' that group
widgets of similiar scope or functionality, and it will be possible to
download and install different versions of widget packs to help with
upgrading between versions.  The widget documentation will be more
extensive and there will be a web-based installation system available
for those that desire easier installation and configuration.

There will also be a reasonably complete sample application with a
number of different templates to showcase the various widget packs.

I'll have more details once I get the beta release out the door, but
hopefully this has whetted your appetite and will give you enough to be
satisified until the beta version is out.

Cheers and thanks for reading this far ;)

|Paul Spencer                           pspencer@dmsolutions.ca   |