[Chameleon] adding my own data to chameleon.map file

Ken Sanderson ken at rockies.ca
Fri Aug 6 18:46:53 EDT 2004

The data with the samples doesnt have attached projection information,
but if you look at the map file itself it has a set projection of "NAD83
LCC for Canada" as indicated by the line: init=epsg:42304. I just looked
up 42304 in the EPSG file in your Proj folder. Since the other layers
dont have projection information I assume they are all the same
projection of the map file.

I am realitively new to the whole mapserver thing as well, but I think
if you just create projection information for your layers, specifiying
the projection they are actually in, they will get projected on the fly
to appear appropriately with the other layers. Alternately you could use
the projection information found in the EPSG file to reproject your
layers on your end so they automatically match up with the ones already
there.

I really recommend the MapLab product for making your MAP files, adding
new layers, etc. Saves a lot of effort and it has a built in preview
tool. When I started messing with my own layer I just started from
scratch with my own MAP file and added a layer a time, messing with
things till I understood them.

Hope that helps

Ken