[Chameleon] Chameleon and php safe mode

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Dec 17 08:30:00 EST 2004

Good question!

Having reviewed http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.safe-mode.php I
don't see any reason why PHP could not be put into safe mode to run
Chameleon, but I think that you need to read up on this feature and
really understand the consequences of safe mode.  In particular, there
are a lot of settings related to safe mode that would need to be
correctly configured.  If anyone wants to take the time to figure it
out, I would be happy to include instructions in the installation manual
or make the changes in Chameleon necessary to make it work (assuming
that they are reasonably trivial changes).

Probably the biggest issue would be with session management, since
session.php actually creates directories for the session.  The first
user note for this feature talks about the pitfalls of scripts that
create directories when running in safe mode.  I am sure that some of
the settings could be used to work around this, but it would require
some testing for sure.