MapTools.org

[Chameleon] mouse events, active tool

Paul Spencer spencer@dmsolutions.ca
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:35:09 -0500
Bart,

I agree with your evaluation of how mouse handling should be done.  As
part of fixing the javascript performance issue (by restricting mouse
events to the map image), I will also try to accomodate your request to
not interpret the right mouse button as an action button.

For the navigation commands, there are a couple of known issues.  One is
that the mouse click handling is fairly promiscuous, so if you have a
select box that overlaps the map image and you select an item in the
list, then a mouse click is generated on the map too.

I am hoping to fix this particular problem within the same mechanism, by
  only connecting to mouse click events when the mouse is actually over
the map, but I may have to do something along the lines you suggest to
ensure that activating another tool doesn't cause some navigation effect.

The problem with this is that selecting something from the quickzoom or
some other input on the page should not really cancel the fact that you
have the zoom in tool selected, for instance.

Thanks for all the great input,