MapTools.org

[Chameleon] 2 "enhancement bugs"

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa@dmsolutions.ca
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:44:37 -0500
Checking the context (1.0) specs, there seems 2 ways that the Style
element might be used in a context file. The first is for named styles.
The second option is to define and SLD. Here is the text from the sepcs
refering to that :

Each <Style> element may alternatively define the style(s) of the layer
with a <SLD> element.
The <SLD> element must contain required <Name> and optional <Title>
elements which identify the particular element of a Styled Layer
Descriptor to be used for this style. The <SLD> element must then
contain one of three alternative sources of description of a layer style:

1. an <OnlineResource> element describing a link to the specified SLD
document.
<OnlineResource
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink"
xlink:type="simple"
xlink:href=”http://example.org/this/is/an/example/link/to/the/sld">

This reference may be to a separately referenced SLD document or to an
inline <StyledLayerDescriptor> in the same context document (which may
define the styles for multiple layers within the Web Map Context)

2. <StyledLayerDescriptor> element containing inline the namedStyle or
userStyle named in the enclosing <Style> element

3. <FeatureTypeStyle> element containing inline the specific feature
styling instructions for the enclosing <Style> element

  Here is what can be done to support these :

    * for the online ressource, we need to upgrade the context reader to
parse the SLD url and save it as a metadata on the layer. Should not be
too much work to do this.

    * for the inline SLD, It requires more effort since it needed to
convert SLD to/from mapserver classes. There is though some mapserver
low level code to do this that can be used as a starting point.