MapTools.org

[Chameleon] Searches, Buffers and Choropleth Maps

Darren.Cope@statcan.ca Darren.Cope@statcan.ca
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:51:56 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C411D1.148B5724

Hello everyone,

I've been working with the CWC2 application from the MS4W package for the
last few weeks.  I have a demo set up which displays some of our own data,
and allows me to perform many of the basic functions I need.  However, I am
researching the feasibility of some more advanced functionality, and am not
finding much to suit my needs.  I have searched the archive, and found some
snippets of information, but never enough to help me pull everything
together.  I am currently using shapefiles as a data source.

I would like to know if the following are possible, and if so, how I would
go about implementing them:

- do searches based on my own data, rather than the CGDI-based (i.e.. postal
code, locality, nts) searches.  I would like to do searches based on one
field (e.g. find a street name), and multiple fields (possibly in different
layers) (e.g. find a city in a specific province).  Is there a widget which
I could modify easily in order to do such a search?  Someone out there must
have a widget which does this?

- search based on topology (e.g. find the intersection of two streets)

- create a circular buffer around a user-selected point (where user clicks
on the map) with a user-entered radius

- select and highlight a feature when it is "identified," and retain this
selection until the user clears it

- display a choropleth map (without hard-coding the ranges in the .map file)

Do I need to use something like PostGIS or GeoServer do accomplish these
tasks?  If so, how do these work with Chameleon/MapServer?

I am very new to all of this, and have very little programming knowledge, so
please keep this in mind.

I realize that I am asking a lot of questions, so thanks in advance for any
help!

Darren Cope
Geography Division
Statistics Canada

------_=_NextPart_001_01C411D1.148B5724

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2654.19">
<TITLE>Searches, Buffers and Choropleth Maps</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hello everyone,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I've been working with the CWC2 =
application from the MS4W package for the last few weeks.&nbsp; I have =
a demo set up which displays some of our own data, and allows me to =
perform many of the basic functions I need.&nbsp; However, I am =
researching the feasibility of some more advanced functionality, and am =
not finding much to suit my needs.&nbsp; I have searched the archive, =
and found some snippets of information, but never enough to help me =
pull everything together.&nbsp; I am currently using shapefiles as a =
data source.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I would like to know if the following =
are possible, and if so, how I would go about implementing them:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">- do searches based on my own data, =
rather than the CGDI-based (i.e.. postal code, locality, nts) =
searches.&nbsp; I would like to do searches based on one field (e.g. =
find a street name), and multiple fields (possibly in different layers) =
(e.g. find a city in a specific province).&nbsp; Is there a widget =
which I could modify easily in order to do such a search?&nbsp; Someone =
out there must have a widget which does this?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">- search based on topology (e.g. find =
the intersection of two streets)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">- create a circular buffer around a =
user-selected point (where user clicks on the map) with a user-entered =
radius</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">- select and highlight a feature when =
it is &quot;identified,&quot; and retain this selection until the user =
clears it</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">- display a choropleth map (without =
hard-coding the ranges in the .map file)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Do I need to use something like =
PostGIS or GeoServer do accomplish these tasks?&nbsp; If so, how do =
these work with Chameleon/MapServer?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am very new to all of this, and have =
very little programming knowledge, so please keep this in mind.</FONT>
<BR>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I realize that I am asking a lot of =
questions, so thanks in advance for any help!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Darren Cope</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Geography Division</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Statistics Canada</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C411D1.148B5724--