[Chameleon] maptips widget

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Sat Nov 6 20:46:45 EST 2004

Sander,

Sander Dee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying the Maptips-widget and I have two questions about it. I'm
> using chameleon 1.99.
>
> 1. How can I turn the widget off after using it? When I select no layers
> ("turn off Map Tips") and click Ok, it says "No attributes selected. Click
> Close instead!". When the widget is active I can't use some other widgets
> like zooming in on the map.

this sounds like a bug.  Please file it in bugzilla ... unfortunately I
don't think it will get addressed for the 1.99 version but I will try to
adress it at some point.

> 2. I can't get this widget to work with WMS-layers, maybe I'm doing
> something wrong?

This widget cannot work directly with WMS layers because WMS layers are
treated as raster layers (i.e. there is no feature information, just a
picture).  I cannot recall offhand, but it is possible that the widget
may work with WMS layers that have an associated WFS ... if this works
at all, ir would require a suitably configured WMS/WFS server with a
version of MapServer that advertises the connection in response to a WMS
DescribeLayer request.  Also, the code is relatively inefficient for
lines since they have to be buffered in PHP code, whereas points and
polygons are much more efficient.