[Chameleon] language handling - xml??

Godwin, Elizabeth Godwinl at AGR.GC.CA
Tue Oct 19 10:20:34 EDT 2004

I am considering writing a small help widget for my application that
displays help for all the widgets I'm using.  At the moment it's a very
specialized widget that displays the info I want displayed.  I suppose
it could be made into something more dynamic... but that's for another
day.

In doing this, I thought it would be nice to to the language handling of
the DBF files to handle the French vs English help descriptions.  The
problem here though is that these dbf files are limited to 256 (or
something close) characters.  If I'm mistaken on this, someone please
share.

What I'm wondering is... how hard would it be to use xml files instead?
It would be easier then for me to store translations because there is no
limit on characters.  Is there a sample of a parsing function that comes
with Chameleon that I could modify for use in my templates?  Ideally it
would be nice if all of Chameleon could handle more than 256 chars in
language files, but I understand such a change would be a large
undertaking for the present time.

Cheers,

Liz