[Chameleon] New Widget :-D

Godwin, Elizabeth Godwinl at AGR.GC.CA
Thu Apr 7 14:19:46 EDT 2005

Hey Gang,

I'm working on a new widget for Chameleon 2.0 that will handle OGC
layers a bit better.  YES, the LegendTemplate worked well, but I want
better handling of the legend information that may or may not be
available.  I also want it to look snazzy in a way I can't get the
templates to behave, nor use Javascript to code.

SO... one of the issues I'm running into, is that as it stands, or as
far as I can tell, Chameleon doesn't store/know which servers/services
are capable of handling SLD information.  And that is something I would
like to know.  For my application.  I imagine this is useful for others
using Chameleon for OGC purposes also.

In my widget, I would like to perform a getlegendgraphic request when
relevant.  Relevent is servers that support this.  I would also like
error checking, so if it's capable, but there's an error...show message
not image.  This is where javascript wouldn't help me.

My first thought was to use the pear HTTP_Request function to evaluate
if the getlegendgraphic response is xml (error) or an image mime type,
but if there is some utility I should use instead..then I'd like to
know.

Alternatively (or in addition...?), if a metadata tag was added to each
layer when it is added to the map object that specifies if it handles
SLDs/getLegendGraphic, that would be nice.  Since Mapserver applies SLDs
to normal non-OGC layers nicely, this can also be something that applies
to all map layers.  Also, if it's in the mapfile, I can grab it from my
widget.  :-)

If this is something I can add, I just need direction as to where this
should go.  AND CVS access (Paul???)  I'll give back the final results
to the community.

Cheers,

Liz Godwin