[Chameleon] table-less CSS layouts

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Feb 22 21:47:50 EST 2005

Bart,

sorry for the delay in replying.

This is something that has been thrown around once in a while :)  We are
starting to become more proficient with CSS, or at least understanding
some of its basic capabilities (and limitations).

It seems, at first, a highly desirable thing to attempt to come up with
table-less layouts.  We have attempted this with several projects with
varying results.  It turns out that there are some technical
difficulties with implementing an application page based on this
philosophy, particularly when it comes to small differences between
browsers (such as the default box model!).

I am certainly in favour of removing as much HTML from the widget output
  as possible.  I am hesitant to wrap everything in divs as the default
behaviour, preferring to either let the designer wrap everything or have
a separate 'draw mode' that would do this.

I have been working (in my head) on a design for a web-based application
that could be used to generate Chameleon templates that would use this
method exclusively.  All widgets would be controlled by absolutely
positioned divs and the editor would maintain a style sheet to control
position/size and a tag editor for editing the attributes of widgets.

But perhaps before we do this, my most pressing desire is to work on the
jsapi mode to the point where it is practical to build client-side
applications using Chameleon as the 'application generator'.  I have
been experimenting with some javascript/DHTML code that may eventually
make its way into the core of Chameleon, but I have not yet evaluated
the potential impact this would have on all widgets (probably quite a
bit of work).

Also, as you indicated, there is the whole thing with popups.  I would
love to have a way to direct popups to be 'popins' ala MapNotes and to
allow for custom interfaces to be created

All in all, quite a bit on the books!  I'll keep the list informed when
I have news ...

Cheers

Paul