[Chameleon] IE red cross problem

Bart van den Eijnden BEN at Syncera-ITSolutions.NL
Wed Jul 13 02:22:55 EDT 2005

Hi Jacob,

my site is running on Windows 2003 with IIS6 and it still occurs quite (frequently) there .....

Bart van den Eijnden
Syncera IT Solutions
Postbus 270
2600 AG  DELFT

tel.nr.: 015-7512436
email: BEN at Syncera-ITSolutions.nl

>>> "Jacob Delfos" <jacob.delfos at maunsell.com> 07/13/05 02:29am >>>
Well, I have to say it's a less frequent problem, but maybe I just haven't noticed as much because I use firefox most of the time. I noticed it only occurs with the combination of internet explorer (not all versions of it though) and Apache. My current version of IE doesn't suffer from it at all. I *think* it also improved since we switched from win2k to windows 2003 server. The essense of the problem is probably requests being fired too quickly, which would explain why win2k3 would deal with it better.

In version 1, the workaround I used made use of the 'onError' attribute of the map image (MapLayerDivImg), which in version 2 sits in MapDHTML.js. This function invoked a function when the image broke, which loaded an empty pixel into the map-image immediately (so users doesn't see red cross), and then (after 0.2 seconds) reloaded the correct URL back into the map image. The users does not notice if anything goes wrong. Legend images and scalebar can still break, though.

I haven't yet had a reason to implement this in version 2. Should be easy to do, so let me know if you want me to post the code, but you could probably figure it out yourself quite easily. You are right, in that it can cause an infinite loop. But only if the configuration of the site is wrong (e.g. error in mapfile). It would not loop if the site normally functions. And I think version 2 has better error-catching (e.g. error message in map image), which would prevent that from happening. It's not a clean solution, but a whole lot more comfortable than the user seeing broken images.

regards,

Jacob