[Chameleon] page refresh difference between IE and Firefox

Jacob Delfos jacob.delfos at maunsell.com
Sat Mar 26 05:07:30 EST 2005

Bart,

I think it's just the way the browser was designed. Internet explorer
immediately blanks the page when you change URL, and gradually builds it
up as it receives the new info. Firefox seems to wait until it has
received all the info it needs to completely build the layout of the new
page, and only then switches to the new page, keeping the old page on
the screen until then.

I doubt you could change much about it, except loading everything in a
div, and using onload to make the div visible, so you don't see the site
being built up. This is actually why we use javascript for all our
production sites so far (and for performance). It is faster, and looks
much better from a user point of view.

What I'd love to see one day, is all communication being done through an
invisible Iframe, and all elements being changed dynamically. Kind of
like opening drawmap.php in an Iframe, but instead of it returning an
image, it returns the javascript needed to change the URL of the
mapimage (to a new static imagefile). I think google maps might also be
using this approach, but I'm not sure.

regards,

Jacob