[Chameleon] performance concerns

Bart van den Eijnden bartvde at xs4all.nl
Sun May 8 10:46:09 EDT 2005

Hi list,

I am comparing an application built with Chameleon (based on the ROI
sample app) with an application built with Neapoljs (Tydac's product built
on PHP/Mapscript).

Neapoljs is more client-side oriented, ie the only thing it updates most
of the time is the map image. So more like Chameleon's js api I guess.

I notice a huge performance difference using a 30 Kb MAP file with local
datasets (shapefile and mapinfo) between Neapoljs and Chameleon, around a
factor 2 or 3 per zoom in. This worries me a bit, as the response times of
Chameleon are above 5 seconds on my local (quite fast) laptop.

I can imagine storing (writing/reading) the whole 30 Kb MAP file as a
state in the session with every zoomin can be quite a bit of overkill,
seeing the only line that is gonna change is the extent most of the time.
Especially in applications where users can't influence the layers'
settings.

Any thoughts on the performance? What could I try to speed it up? Are
there any plans for optimizing performance?

Thanks in advance.