[Chameleon] MapNotes - why delete the shapefile?

Ken-ichi kenichi.ueda at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 01:00:44 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm trying to hack the MapNotes widget to operate off of a static
shapefile instead of a different one for each session, so the notes
are persistent across sessions.  I've got it accepting a new paramter
in the template tag, and it tries to edit the shapefile specified
there, but it borks when properties.php tries to unlink the SHP and
SHX files in the updateShapeFile() function, because Apache doesn't
have permission to delete those files.

I suppose I could ask my friendly neighborhood sysadmin to make
Apache the owner of those files, but why does properties.php delete
the files anyway?  Is MapScript incapable of doing any kind of
editing other than appending to a shapefile?

-Ken-ichi