[Chameleon] Re: IE hangs with drawmap.php

uli mueller uli.mueller at gmx.ch
Tue Feb 21 19:27:23 EST 2006

Jonathan

I would not use IE either, but some clients do:-(

In the meantime I can give some more infos on the problem:
I can reproduce the crash when I load the same URL twice:
- copy a valid URL to drawmap.php directly to the address bar of IE
 >> image loads
- press F5 to reload the same URL
 >> IE hangs

So normally in a chameleon app every URL should be unique (that is what
the dummy var is for). However I suppose IE does something nobody knows
about, e.g. call the URL more than once.

The output format of the map seems not to be the cause of all that, as I
guessed before.

I have built a small test application to reproduce the bug:
http://ex1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de/crashie/obsrv.php

I will also have to check if maybe apache blocks repeated calls?

Uli

Jonathon Coombes wrote:

> On 22/02/2006, at 1:55 AM, uli mueller wrote:
>
>> Nobody has any hint? This is a real blocker for us!
>>
>> We tested the whole thing on some more machines and found some that
>> did not show the problem - although the version of IE was identical.
>>
>> Uli
>>
>> uli mueller wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All
>>> Can anybody tell why Internet Explorer (version 5 and 6) hangs  with
>>> some images produced from drawmap.php?
>>> With Firefox everything is fine. However when I call the same URL  in
>>> IE the browser hangs completely, consuming most of my CPU and
>>> freezing the whole system after some minutes!
>>> This happens only at certain map extents or scales. I tried  changing
>>> the output format options in chameleon.xml as well as in  the
>>> mapfile. The only effect was that other map extents caused the
>>> problem. I found no configuration that worked for all situations.
>>> I have copied and posted some of the images produced from
>>> drawmap.php below. However when I call the saved images with their
>>> extension even IE manages to display them.
>

> Hi Uli,
>
> The only trouble I have seen with IE was to do with sessions and  using
> IFRAME's.
> The two don't mix very well and you have to be extra careful in this
> situation. Otherwise
> I can't help you as I don't use IE! (or MS Windows) :)
>
> Regards
> Jonathon

geOps GeoInformatics
D-79100 Freiburg