[Chameleon] Chameleon the answer?

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jun 1 16:10:10 EDT 2006

Eric,

Chameleon is a pretty flexible framework for deploying mapserver-
based applications.  The good news is that everything you want to do
is possible and has been done by various folks.  The bad news is
there isn't really a formula for what you want.  It is likely you
will need to get your hands dirty and develop some new widgets that
do what you want.  This involves knowing something about PHP,
Chameleon architecture, and quite a bit about how to use PHP
mapscript to dynamically create and modify a map file on-the-fly.

The steps to accomplish what you want are:

1. create a widget that displays the necessary control(s) to the
user, for instance select boxes that allow them to choose the data/
year/aggregation parameters

2. when the user clicks 'go' in your widget, create a new layer or
modify an existing layer dynamically to make the necessary changes

3. save the map state in the session (using the Chameleon framework,
this is done automagically for you)

Obviously there's a lot that goes into step 1 and 2.

Your ms4w configuration is perfect for doing all this, there really
isn't a better way to set it up.

Cheers

Paul