[Chameleon] Chameleon automatically toggeling layers on

Erik Baluba erik1969 at mailhaven.com
Mon Jun 12 19:11:29 EDT 2006

Hi,

> Is your browser POSTing form variables when you hit the refresh button? It
> should pop up a confirm dialog box. If not, or if you are pressing the go
> button next to the address bar, chameleon thinks you're loading for the
> first
> time and starts in its initial state.

I am not sure but it seems it's not reposting.  When I toggle layers on/off
and press the Update button there seems to be a javascript error, because IE
shows a small warning icon in the lower left. Clicking on it reveals an
error in Line 518, a null object. I viewed the source of the page but on
that line number there is nothing.
I am aware of the difficulties of debugging java script problems. I was
going to try using opera istead since it has a JavaScript console, but
Chameleon works poorly with opera because som DOM collections doesn't exist
on opera. The JSAPI examples doesn't work at all on Opera because of this.

In general it's hard to track down bugs and problems in a chameleon. I would
appreciate any hints for general problem solving in this environment. All
the widget stuff and JS snippets being deployed makes it easy to loose
control.
I think I will just have to start over with a fresh chameleon sample, and
add piece by piece until I hit the wall again, to isolate the problem.
Perhaps I also should download mozilla since I hear it has better facilities
for debugging JS problems.

cheers,
  erik