[Chameleon] Dual Language Functionality

Little, John JLittle at NRCan.gc.ca
Mon Jun 26 11:12:17 EDT 2006

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response.

I managed to solve my problem, though I'm sure there are better ways. I
simply made both English and French versions for the index, template and
map files and toggle between default languages by using
"myurl/index_en.phtml?LANGUAGE=en-CA" and
"myurl/index_fr.phtml?LANGUAGE=fr-CA" tagged onto the end of the url.
This does what I want, however I'm interested in learning the
recommended way to do manage dual languages.

I have not yet upgraded to 2.4 b/c there are other applications running
off 2.0 that we cannot disrupt at this time.

Cheers,

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Spencer [mailto:pspencer at dmsolutions.ca]
Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2006 9:43 AM
To: Little, John
Cc: chameleon at lists.maptools.org
Subject: Re: [Chameleon] Dual Language Functionality

John,

I'm fairly sure there would be at least some minor issues with upgrading
from 2.0 to 2.4 but I would hope these would be fairly isolated.

The latest version has some examples of bilingualizing stuff in the
samples directory.

Regarding wms_title_en and wms_title_fr (etc), I'm not sure that will
work ... well, obviously it doesn't ... but I'm not sure its even
supposed to work.  I assume you are having problems with the legend
widget displaying names in english/french when you switch.  I know
someone solved this problem.  Hopefully they are reading and will post a
response.

Cheers

Paul