[Chameleon] Architectural Advice

anthony farrant anthony.k.farrant at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 04:39:42 EDT 2007

Hello,

I'd like to use chameleon to build our GIS web app but have to cope with a
major difficulty:

Our website is physically and logically separated from our GIS server
running
Mapserver and Chameleon (different cities & networks). This implies that
every change induced
by the user has to be tranferred to the GIS server which sends back the
answer
(the map).

Until now I have used a custom PHP/Mapscript application but I would like to
benefit from the
Chameleon framework to build nicer and more functional applications.

For the moment all the command logic is situated on the web server which
handles requests
and then sends appropriate data to the GIS server to build the map. When the
map returns
the web server updates it's internal info (extent) and presents the map. All
the databases
are situated on the webserver so the GIS is only used for map generation.

I understand that this would not be possible with Chameleon since it handles
both command
logic and map generation.

I was wondering if any of you has had to deal with such a situation before
and if you
have found a lasting solution for it.

CHeers,

Anthony