[FGS] Re: FGS] Re: tclhttpd

Guillaume Dallaire gdallaire at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jul 29 15:34:59 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 13:18, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Guillaume Dallaire wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > there is also thttpd:
> >
> > http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/
> >
> > It has a very small run-time size. In typical use it's about as fast as
> > the best full-featured servers. There is a SAPI module for PHP 4.x.
> >
> > I'm checking if there is support for internal redirection required to
> > redirect .php files to the PHP CGI and run PHP MapScript apps.
>
> Folks,
>
> I see that thttpd is listed as being about 50K as an executable.  Substantially
> less than the 1.8MB of tclhttpd.  It looks like either would do the trick though.
> The thttpd is small enough that we could just dump it into the base package.
>
> Best regards,

Hi,

thttpd is not well suited for PHP as CGI :

: Current versions of thttpd can use PHP as CGI, however thttpd is not
: well suited to serving high volume dynamic content with PHP. Web sites
: wishing to take advantage of thttpd's strengths should consider using
: another web server, such as Apache, to serve PHP content while serving
: static content with thttpd.

And with PHP as module, all HTTP requests are serialized. That means,
one long running script (like php_mapscript) will block all other
requests.

(source: http://halplant.com:88/server/thttpd_FAQ.html#PHP)

In fact, more work is carried out in a commercial version of thttpd:

http://www.schumann.cx/premium-thttpd/

I compiled Apache v1.3.31 and discovered that its size is smaller than
tclhttpd : The binary file 'httpd' is 384KB. The complete package would
be 1.1MB  (291KB in gz format).

$ ldd httpd

   libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0x4002b000)
   libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/libcrypt.so.1 (0x4004e000)
   libexpat.so.0 => /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0 (0x4007b000)
   libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x42000000)

 Guillaume Dallaire              gdallaire at dmsolutions.ca