[FGS] setup scripts

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 24 14:18:32 EDT 2004

> My personal suggestion is that we take a similar approach to
> OpenEV with the
> understanding that users can avoid our cover scripts if they wish
> and are
> willing to set other environment variables apppropriately.

I agree with this.  The OpenEV approach is an excellent model to work from.  I'm keep to adopt best practices from these other projects which have worked well for me as a user.

On the topic of updating or adding a new package to an existing fgs home, one thing we could look at is the (non-RPM) approach that several linux distros use and see if there is something worth gleaning from there.  I see that slackware uses an installpkg shell script to clean up, untar and install apps (see it in /sbin/installpkg) from a tar.gz.
Also I understand many like debian because of a web accessible central repository and similar (?) type of package installer.  I assume it too is script-based but am unfamiliar with how they are packaged (tar.gz or some debian format?).

Tyler