[FGS] Status / httpd / etc

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Sep 21 12:07:37 EDT 2004

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I must admit that at this point I am inclined to just go back to release
> OpenEV_FW linux releases and leave broader packaging to others.  I don't
> want to  be the trouble maker that just makes life difficult for everyone.
> I think that the goals of most folks interested in FGS are broader than
> mine and that is causing some problems.  For instance, for simplicity and
> consistency I would prefer we only build FGS on maxine for linux.
>
> For now, I'll let you folks continue on and once things settle down a bit
> perhaps I can help flesh out the GDAL package to include as many options
> as are practical.

Well, our intention was definitely not to scare you away. We're just
trying to solve the same complicated problem as everybody else on this
list. Perhaps we're pushing it a little bit further to address some
limitations of the inital approach but I hope that this wouldn't prevent
anyone from participating. If anyone leaves or should be considered a
trouble-maker, that should be us, not you.

Maybe there is just a misunderstanding with our approach since what
we've done should just make it easier for you to build new releases of
an OpenEV_FW Linux application package that you distribute on your side,
while we (DMSG) can distribute a MapServer application package that is
compatible with yours, and anybody else can distribute their own
application package that can all work together under the same FGS
install tree.

I think Guillaume has already setup scripts for most packages that were
in the original Base, so all we should need is perhaps to fixup a few
packages from the original base that may still be missing, create one
for OpenEV if there is not one yet, and then create a virtual OpenEV_FW
package dependency list that includes everything that you want to
include in your distribution.

That's the theory, of course, but that works for MapServer already.
Let's see if Guillaume can reproduce your OpenEV_FW package with his
stuff, that will be the real test.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca