[FGS] Enabling HTTPS

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Mar 29 19:03:33 EST 2005

Jeff McKenna wrote:

> "I'm told that typically using a package installer we would just select
> an apache
> package with HTTPS pre-configured and drop in a cert.
>
> However with the FGS system, could you suggest the best approach to do
> this?  I
> didnt see an apache with HTTPS on http://dl.maptools.org/dl/fgs/modules/
>  Would
> modifying the apache config files directly be the right (or only) way to
> go?"

Guillaume could correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you'd have to get
your hands dirty and dive into the config files to use HTTPS with FGS. I
don't think any of the projects that funded the FGS work ever had a
requirement for HTTPS, so it would probably not work out of the box.

If you are running FGS on port 8080 and there is already another Apache
web server that supports HTTPS on youre server, then it might be
possible to setup a proxy in the main Apache server (the one that runs
HTTPS) that points to the FGS that runs only HTTP. I don't think we've
tried that combination with FGS yet, but I can't see why that wouldn't work.

HTH,

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca