[FGS] Unable to load dynamic library

Bart Wood bartwood at gmail.com
Mon May 2 22:27:18 EDT 2005

Hello All,
I've tried for 2 days to get around this problem with no luck.  I'm
getting the following error when I try to open any of the chameleon
demo web pages...

Warning: dl(): Unable to load dynamic library
'/opt/fgs/www/lib/php4/php_mapscript.so' - libSM.so.6: cannot open

The offending line of php code looks like...
dl( "php_mapscript.so" );

If I check the directory /opt/fgs/www/lib/php4/ I can see the file
php_mapscript.so exits so I'm a little confused why the dl function is
failing -it's looking in the right spot and the file exists.

I've found one solution suggesting to edit the file /etc/ld.so.conf to
include the line /opt/fgs/www/lib/php4 but this didn't help (of course
I might not have done this correctly in some way).

Does anyone out there have any idea how to fix this?
Here is my system cofiguration...
Redhat 9.0 (with Fedora Core 2.0)
I'm using the chameleon linux installer at
http://www.maptools.org/fgs/index.phtml?page=downloads.html
-I've tried the other installers as well but I get the same exact error.

Any help would be appreciated.