[FGS] what about ecw support?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Fri May 20 13:40:58 EDT 2005

Gianni Bassini - Provincia di Cremona wrote:
> hi there
> what about ecw support?
> any news ?

The last news I had, the ECW license didn't allow us to use it in a
server environment, and since FGS is used in lots of cases to setup a
web mapping server environment, we would be breaking the license
agreement if we distributed it. ER-Mapper said that they were going to
review their license to possibly remove that server restriction, does
anyone know if that's happened yet? Anyway, until that license
restriction is removed we will not be able to legally distribute an
FGS/ECW package.

Another reason why it's not been done yet is that the addition of FGS
packages is driven by funding and our customer's requirements. So if
your use of ECW would not be in a server environment (not breaking the
license) and you would be interested in funding the setup of the ECW/FGS
package then you could contact us off-list and we could do it for you.

<shameless_plug>
BTW, this applies to any possible FGS package: if there is an
application/library that you would like to see in FGS and you would be
willing to fund that addition, then please don't hesitate to contact me
or Guillaume. Typical cost to add a new package in FGS range from 300$
to 1200$ (CAD) depending on package complexity.

Custom builds of FGS to suit your specific requirements are also
possible for a fee that varies depending on the amount of work required.
</shameless_plug>

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca