[FGS] Packaging Ruby Mapscript...

Guillaume Dallaire gdallaire at mapgears.com
Fri Apr 7 10:54:55 EDT 2006

Robert Thau wrote:
> Hi.  Does anyone have advice for packaging something including Ruby
> Mapscript as an FGS module?  I'm running into library compatibility
> problems.  In particular, I have a test module which works on some
> Linux systems (SuSE 10, Fedora Core 4), but not others (Debian Sarge,
> FC3).  I'd ideally like to be able to build a module that works
> everywhere; failing that, I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone may
> have on how to ease the pain.
>
> In case it helps, here's the current module (which just might work for you!):
>
>   http://ivygis.justec.co.in/files/fgs-ivygis_demo-0.0.6-linux-i386.tar.gz
>
> The package could be briefly described as "Mapserver and PostGIS on
> Rails" --- if you'd like a demo, try

Hi Robert,

I currently use Debian Sarge to build all fgs modules. This platform
uses libstdc++ from gcc 3.3.5. Fedora Core 4 uses a more recent gcc and
libstcd++ version, this is why people installing FGS on Fedora need to
install compat-libstdc++.

I just created a new module containing all libstdc++ dependencies for FGS.

For Ruby Mapscript, I think the best way to produce fully portable FGS
modules would be to create a build script for Ruby in fgs-dev (like any
other FGS modules). Then, I could use it to build Ruby Mapscript
distribution modules from my build system and make it available to
others FGS users.

You can checkout the fgs-dev environment via CVS, see:

http://www.maptools.org/fgs/index.phtml?page=fgs-sandbox.html

Guillaume