[FGS] Is FSG Linux Installer valid for for productionpurposes??

Guillaume Dallaire gdallaire at dmsolutions.ca
Sat Feb 18 09:39:14 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 23:29 +0000, Orlando Giovanny Solarte Delgado
wrote:
> Hi .
>
> I need too distribuite my aplication GIS. It use mapserver, chameleon,
> postgres, postgis. So
> I have a couple questions...
>
> Is FSG Linux Installer valid for for production purposes??
> IS FSG Linux Insaller stable and secure?

Hi,

I think that FGS is a valid solution for production for these reasons:

o FGS can be installed on any recent Linux distributions.

o Since all FGS components are installed under one directory structure,
you have a good control on what versions is used by all components (Only
the LIBC is used from the system). Then, you can run more than one
instance of FGS without conflict (isolation). It's perfect for chroot-ed
environment.

o For development, there is a way to build FGS modules with debug flag
enabled and non stripped binaries.

We have servers that run FGS for more than one year without problem
(stability).

Guillaume