[FGS] FGS future direction

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Apr 19 13:24:21 EDT 2007

Paul / Daniel,

As you both know, I have long had it in my mind that FGS could be the basis
of an "OSGeo Binary Distribution" for Linux.  I think Shawn's work on
incorporating MapGuide OS is a big step in extending beyond the MapServer
world.

I would be very pleased to see FGS made more community oriented, and to
provide any resources we can from OSGeo.

 From the point of the GDAL project I'd be pleased to have Mateusz and I take
on responsibility for maintaining the FGS GDAL package and it's dependencies.
I'm also interested in joining an FGS PSC.

If FGS were to become a formal OSGeo project (and I'm pretty keen on this)
I think there is potential to collect some sponsorship funding to support
the project.

After we have gotten a bit organized, and incorporated mapguide for instance,
I'd like to see an effort to also incorporate packages like GRASS, OSSIM
although these come with substantial dependencies that will increase the
complexity of the effort.