[FGS] Source Cache, CVS access

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Jul 2 10:42:41 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I tried building FGS from source today, but as on my last attempt I
> was foiled by various things having moved from their original locations.
> Would it be possible for someone with an existing source.tar.gz cache
> of the various packages to make it accessable to me?

Have you looked for the missing packages in
http://dl.maptools.org/dl/fgs/fgs-dev/fgs-cache/

If the libs you're missing are freely redistributable and are not there
then please let me know which ones they are and I'll add them. It's very
possible that this area is not up to date.

> I'd also be interested in CVS commit access.  For now I'm just wanting
> to fix up the datum shift file url in the proj package, but of course I'm
> hoping to make more serious contributions.

I've added your account.

> Is FGS "current" 0.2 or 0.3?

'current' in the download site is a symlink to 0.2

> When might FGS be ready to start a "next
> version" with updated versions of things like GDAL, etc.

I think what's currently in CVS could be called the dev version for 0.3.
It already contains updates for several packages. For instance GDAL may
not be at 1.4.2 yet (too recent) but it's been updated to work from SVN
recently for instance.

> How do versions
> work with the fgs-dev cvs respository?  Are fgs versions branches in
> that repository?

FGS (in CVS) has never been tagged or branched for 0.1 or 0.2 so it's
hard to tell what is 0.1 and what is 0.2, but the last known release was
called 0.2.

> Ah, so many questions. :-)

Reading between the lines of your email I can feel the frustration that
I had when I first started trying to use it. Then we all seem to do the
same thing: we fix a few things as we start using it and never come back
to polish it, so the next person trying to use it still has to suffer
some of our frustration.

That's why I wrote on IRC the other day that FGS needs some care. It's
an excellent base to manage our suite of packages (and it does work once
you get through those hurdles), but it just needs some polishing to
remove those frustrations, and of course to maintain it up to date with
current packages.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette