[FGS] Source Cache, CVS access

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Jul 3 11:53:33 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Assuming I can keep things working properly, may I update FGS to
> more modern proj, gdal, and libgeotiff packages?

No problem with me.

> I'd also like to factor some gdal dependencies out into plugins.
> For instance postgres, and libecw.

Very good idea.

> I'm also interested in preparing
> gdal-python bindings support which seems practical since FGS already
> includes python.
>
> Any advice on building add-on packages like gdal-python or gdal-ecw?
> I dont' quite understand why I need to use "gdal-base" as the name of
> the gdal package when I do "fgsdev custom_build_list create" and I
> wonder how that might relate to gdal plugin packages.

You could look at the way "modules" are built for the PHP package.
Actually, I see two approaches being used, there are modules inside the
pkg_def/php directory for curl, pdf, mysql, etc. and there are
individual packages under pkg_def/php_* for php_ogr, php_sqlite, etc. I
guess the former are for modules whose source comes as part of the PHP
source tree and the latter are for packages whose source comes from a
different source, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that some packages already have
sub-modules (mapserver-php is another example) and you should look at
how they work to develop your GDAL plugins.

> I guess I should try to use the mapserver python mapscript package
> as a guide?

Is there a mapserver python mapscript package? I didn't see it, but if
there is one then it could be another good example to look at.

> I'm not too frustrated, but clearly some work is needed to make FGS
> more accessable to new developers.  For the time being I'm making a
> few notes at:
>
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FGSDevNotes

I've added a link to this Wiki page in the "Docs" page of the FGS
website. The change should appear on the live server in the next few
minutes.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette