[FGS] Anonymous CVS Access permission errors

Paul Blankenbaker paul.blankenbaker at redali.com
Tue May 26 14:56:07 EST 2009

Good Day:

I was trying to following the instructions for building the FGS MapTools
from the CVS repository (I was viewing the instructions at:
http://www.maptools.org/fgs/index.phtml?page=fgs-sandbox.html).

The CVS repository appears to be in a bad state (it lets me login, but
prevents me from checking out or exporting code).

Here is a synopsis of what I'm seeing:

[pkb at dhcp110 tmp]$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:cvsanon at cvs.maptools.org:
/cvs/maptools/cvsroot
[pkb at dhcp110 tmp]$ cvs -d ${CVSROOT} login
Logging in to :pserver:cvsanon at cvs.maptools.org:2401/cvs/maptools/cvsroot
CVS password:
[pkb at dhcp110 tmp]$ cvs -d ${CVSROOT} checkout fgs-dev
cvs checkout: Updating fgs-dev
U fgs-dev/HISTORY.txt
U fgs-dev/README
U fgs-dev/TODO

... makes good progress, but eventually fails with ...

U fgs-dev/pkg_def/freetype/fgs_build
U fgs-dev/pkg_def/freetype/fgs_install
cvs checkout: Updating fgs-dev/pkg_def/freetype/patches
cvs checkout: failed to create lock directory for
`/cvs/maptools/cvsroot/fgs-dev/pkg_def/freetype/patches'
(/cvs/maptools/cvsroot/fgs-dev/pkg_def/freetype/patches/#cvs.lock):
Permission denied
cvs checkout: failed to obtain dir lock in repository
`/cvs/maptools/cvsroot/fgs-dev/pkg_def/freetype/patches'
cvs [checkout aborted]: read lock failed - giving up
[pkb at dhcp110 tmp]$

I then tried using a CVS export instead (but this failed with a different
error):

[pkb at dhcp110 tmp]$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:cvsanon at cvs.maptools.org:
/cvs/maptools/cvsroot
[pkb at dhcp110 tmp]$ cvs -d ${CVSROOT} login
Logging in to :pserver:cvsanon at cvs.maptools.org:2401/cvs/maptools/cvsroot
CVS password:
[pkb at dhcp110 tmp]$ cvs -d ${CVSROOT} export -r rel-1-0-0 -d fgs-dev-1.0.0
fgs-dev
cvs export: Updating fgs-dev-1.0.0
U fgs-dev-1.0.0/HISTORY.txt
U fgs-dev-1.0.0/README
U fgs-dev-1.0.0/TODO

... continues for awhile, then dies with ...

U fgs-dev-1.0.0/pkg_def/freetype/fgs_build
U fgs-dev-1.0.0/pkg_def/freetype/fgs_install
cvs export: Updating fgs-dev-1.0.0/pkg_def/freetype/patches
cvs [export aborted]: cannot open directory
/cvs/maptools/cvsroot/fgs-dev/pkg_def/freetype/patches/Attic: Permission
denied
[pkb at dhcp110 tmp]$

I suspect that the issue is with respect to permissions on files/directories
at the CVS server (I don't think its at my end). I tried searching the mail
archives, but didn't see anyone else mentioning anonymous CVS issues.

Could someone else try doing a anonymous CVS checkout and see if they see
the same issue, or suggest something that I might change at my end?

Thanks,
Paul