[FWTools] starting fwtools ???

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 09:04:36 EDT 2005

On 8/23/05, thomas miller <miller_2005 at web.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> at first I'm new to Linux...I use debian Linux.
>
> I've downloaded FWTools-linux-0.9.8.tar.gz. and copy it to : /home/thomas/FWTools-linux-0.9.8.tar.gz,
> and followed the instructions:
>
> 1. tar xzvf FWTools-linux-0.9.8.tar.gz
> 2. cd FWTools
> 3. ./install.sh
>
> everything went right without an error messages.
>
> But now I d'ont know what to do!
> How can I start FWTools?
> What does this mean:
> If you use Bash as your shell add the following to your startup script (ie. ~/.bash_profile):
>
> PATH=$PATH:$HOME/FWTools/bin_safe

Thomas,

You can use the command "echo $SHELL" to find out if
you are using bash.  If the response is /bin/bash, or /bin/sh
then you are likely using bash.  You would edit the file
.bash_profile and add the indicated command to that file.

In the short term, you can just enter it at the commandline
to make the FWTools tools available immediately.

eg.

$ PATH=$PATH:$HOME/FWTools-linux-0.9.8/bin_safe
$ gdalinfo utm.tif
$ openev utm.tif

BTW, FWTools 0.9.9 for linux is now available.