[FWTools] FWTools 1.0.0a7 Problems on Linux
bryan at geomega.com
Fri Dec 9 16:32:00 EST 2005
Ed et al,
Hmmm. This could be my problem as well. I sent a couple e-mails to
this list (12/1/05 and 12/6/05), and I didn't get any replies.
When I try to copy a dataset with gdal_translate, the tool hangs but not
(when I've checked) with 100% CPU usage. Sometimes the tool will finish
with Segmentation fault.
I updated from FWTools-linux-1.0.0a1 to FWTools-linux-1.0.0a7, but that
didn't change the problem.
Here's my RH info:
$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.20-8smp (bhcompile at porky.devel.redhat.com) (gcc
version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)) #1 SMP Thu Mar 13
17:45:54 EST 2003
Ed, it sounds like I should upgrade to RH ES 4, Update 2, right? Do the
symptoms I've having sound like the same problem that you fixed with the
Boulder, CO, USA
Ed McNierney wrote:
>Frank et al. -
>A few weeks ago I reported some problems with FWTools 1.0.0a7 running on
>my Red Hat ES 3 systems. Frank generously spent some time looking into
>it, and I've been working on the problems on and off ever since. I
>don't know much, but here's what I do know (or think I know):
>1. The problems seem to be GDAL-based, popping up in tools using GDAL.
>I particularly ran into trouble working with GeoTIFF data sets, but
>that's really all I was testing on so I can't say whether these seemed
>to be GeoTIFF-specific. Tools would hang with 100% CPU use, or crash.
>2. Various debug tools gave me reason to suspect libtiff and/or the
>compiler runtime libraries. RH ES 3 ships with libtiff 3.5 which might
>have been a problem. However, I upgraded various TIFF and related
>libraries, then selected compiler libraries, then finally upgraded the
>whole compiler suite to 3.4.5. Nothing fixed the problem.
>3. I then put FWTools on a back burner and did a refresh and rebuild of
>my MapServer source tree, including GDAL and its utilities. I continued
>to have exactly the same problems.
>4. Since I was going to do it anyway, and since Frank suspected problems
>with "older Red Hat" systems, I upgraded to RH EL 4, Update 2. This
>made the problems go away, and all the tools work fine.
>Unfortunately, I don't know what the problem really was and I can't
>continue to investigate now that it's "fixed". But I'd add this data to
>the belief that RH ES 3 (and perhaps other releases) may be troublesome,
>while RH ES 4, Update 2, seems to work fine.
>At the same time I also reported that the link to the FWTools
>distribution had a typo and linked to a file ending in ".tar.tar"
>instead of ".tar.gz" When I tried later that day (on a different
>system) the problem had already been "fixed". I have since discovered
>that there is something wrong with my browser on one particular machine,
>and it was that browser that was mangling the filename (it does it to
>anything ending in ".tar.gz". There actually wasn't (and isn't) any
>problem on the FWTools site at all.
>Thanks to Frank for the help!
> - Ed
>President and Chief Mapmaker
>TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
>73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
>North Chelmsford, MA 01863
>Phone: +1 (978) 251-4242
>Fax: +1 (978) 251-1396
>ed at topozone.com
>FWTools mailing list
>FWTools at lists.maptools.org
More information about the FWTools