[FWTools] FWTools Intallation question

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 14:04:13 EST 2005

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:51:09 -0400, Joe B. Pimentel
<joepimentel at softhome.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if the FWTools installation by the instructions
> provided with the package (README.1ST) may
> corrupt my current Python installation (RedHat 9 - Python python-2.2.2-26).
>
> In that case what must I do to avoid the problem ?

Joe,

The FWTools kit takes great care to not affect anything else on
your system.  It keeps all it's dependencies local to the FWTools
tree and uses cover scripts to force use of it's local copies of
stuff like python when you run FWTools apps.

What you may need to avoid is sourcing the fwtools_env.sh
script in your normal shell startup file if you want to avoid
entanglements.

BTW, the FWTools "install.sh" script does not move anything
outside the FWTools tree.  It just creates a bunch of internal
scripts with the path to the FWTools tree properly set, and
compiles the python .py files to .pyc within the FWTools tree.

Despite other shortcomings, I believe that FWTools is very good
about not interacting with the rest of the system.

I would add that similar care has been taking on Win32 though
the issues are slightly different there.