[FWTools] MrSid tile indexing

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 23:27:16 EST 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 07:47:53 -0800 (PST), joanvp <joanvp at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded FWtools some months ago, and tileindexed
> ecw files succesfully. But now I need to do it with
> MrSid images, and I can't. I've updated to v0.9.5. and
> the problem is the same. I thought gdal supported
> MrSid, and of course gdaltindex.
>
> Am I missing something? Or gdaltindex doesn't work
> with MrSid files?

Joan,

GDAL has a number of formats that require external
libraries to work properly.  MrSID is one of these.  So
whether a given GDAL build includes MrSID or not will
depend on whether it was "built in".  Currently FWTools
does not include MrSID format support though I hope to
add in fairly soon.  I am just seeking some clarifications
on MrSID license details from lizardtech.

It is possible for you to build GDAL from source with
MrSID support but that is a fairly complex task.  If you
can stand the space use, I would suggest using mrsiddecode
to convert the files into GeoTIFF.