[FWTools] FWTools 1.0.0a2 Release

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Sep 30 13:36:19 EDT 2005

On 9/30/05, Matt Wilkie <matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca> wrote:
> > I seem to be unable to reproduce this problem.
>
> Now I'm really confused. I can't reproduce it anymore either! I can't
> account for why it suddenly started working again. For about an hour it
> didn't work, and then when I started building a testcase it started
> working again. I even went back to the old fwtools shell I've had
> running since yesterday. weird.

Matt,

Welcome to my life!  The ECW build I did for FWTools was my own and
I may well have introduced bugs in it.  However, I have had a variety of
stablity issues with the recent series of ECW SDK releases (since a year
ago or so).  I suspect that is what you are running into too.

> +++
>
> On another front, the output .ecw files are not georeferenced, while the
> input arc grids are:
>
> D:\temp\gdal>gdalinfo shade
> Driver: AIG/Arc/Info Binary Grid
> Size is 226, 228
> Coordinate System is:
> PROJCS["unnamed",
>      GEOGCS["NAD83",
>    ...blah blah blah...

The ECW driver has quite limited support for user defined coordinate
systems.  So if my "jiffy rules" don't succeed in matching up your
coordinate system with one that is known to the ERMapper coordinate
system engine (GDT it is called) then you will get the above situation.
If you know an appropriate coordinate system then you could supply
it with creation options.