[FWTools] As uninformed as they get

Greg Nuspel Greg.Nuspel at telus.net
Fri Dec 29 13:59:01 EST 2006

I am having difficulties combining vector information from different
sources. I think the main issue is projection, but I could be so wrong that
you'll all be laughing.

The first file is a road file and the only info I can find that I think is
related to  projection is:

Spatial Reference Information:
Horizontal Coordinate System Definition:
Geographic:
Latitude Resolution: 0.0000001
Longitude Resolution: 0.0000001
Geographic Coordinate Units: Decimal degrees
Geodetic Model:
Horizontal Datum Name: NAD83CSRS (North American Datum 1983 in Canadian
Spatial Reference System)
Ellipsoid Name: GRS80 (Global Reference System 1980)
Semi-major Axis: 6378137
Denominator of Flattening Ratio: 298.257222101

The second file has this info:
Spatial_Reference_Information:
Horizontal_Coordinate_System_Definition:
Planar:
Map_Projection:
Map_Projection_Name: Lambert Conformal Conic
Lambert_Conformal_Conic:
Standard_Parallel: 49.000000
Standard_Parallel: 77.000000
Longitude_of_Central_Meridian: -105.000000
Latitude_of_Projection_Origin: 49.000000
False_Easting: 0.000000
False_Northing: 0.000000
Planar_Coordinate_Information:
Planar_Coordinate_Encoding_Method: coordinate pair
Coordinate_Representation:
Abscissa_Resolution: 0.016384
Ordinate_Resolution: 0.016384
Planar_Distance_Units: meters
Geodetic_Model:
Horizontal_Datum_Name: D_Clarke_1866
Ellipsoid_Name: Clarke 1866
Semi-major_Axis: 6378206.400000
Denominator_of_Flattening_Ratio: 294.978698

I am sure you have a method of changing the projection of one to match the
other, after that I do know how to extract the area I want using OGR2OGR.
Failing that I am looking for a source of data for the Invermere Valley of
British Columbia. I am trying to build up scenery for a soaring flight
simulator (Condor) and I want to avoid using photographic overlays to create
the roads, railways, rivers and lakes on a landscape rendered in Terragen.
So any directions or suggested tutorials would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg