[FWTools] GEOS C API does not include DistanceOp?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 4 22:39:20 EDT 2006

Bryan Keith wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm using FWTools1.0.0 on windows.  I'm trying to get the distance from
> a point to a polygon (or line), but I get this error using the python
> wrapper:
>
> GEOS C API does not include DistanceOp
>
> Is there a good workaround?  Anyone have a Python algorithm to get the
> distance between ogr geometries?
>
> I also have FWTools-linux-1.0.0a7 installed on a linux machine, but I
> get the same GEOS error.

Bryan,

If you file a bug against GDAL/OGR on this, I'll look at correcting the
problem.  The root of the problem was that the GEOS Distance operation was
not originally exposed in the GEOS C API, so when I shifted to that it
was lost.  I gather it is now available in the latest GEOS releases, so
the problem should be resolvable.

I'm afraid I don't have a good workaround suggestion in the meantime.