[FWTools] Gdaltranslate ESRI grid to GeoTIFF: pixel values are blown up.

Frans Knibbe frans at geodan.nl
Mon Oct 2 04:49:32 EDT 2006

Hello,

I am trying to prepare elevation grids for display and query with the
UMN MapServer. The source data are ESRI floating point grids. As I
understand geoTIFF to be a good format to use with MapServer I use
gdaltranslate (from FWTools 1.0.5) to convert the grids to geoTIFFs. The
problem is that in the resulting geoTIFF images the pixel values are
somehow blown up. Gdalinfo does not report the minimum and maximum
values of the GeoTIFFs, but opening a file in ArcMAP reveals the minimum
value to be 1.17E-38 and the maximum value to be 3.4E38, when the
original values were -6.96 and 30.5.

When I use ArcMap to convert the grids to TIFF, the pixel values do seem
correct, but somehow those TIFFs are not drawn by MapServer. MapServer
does draw the files made by gldaltranslate. Can anyone help me with
getting the pixel values right?

Regards,

Frans Knibbe,
Geodan