[FWTools] ogr2ogr python examples

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 19 14:08:26 EDT 2006

David Fawcett wrote:
> Can anyone point me to an example or two of using ogr2ogr in the ogr
> python module?  I want to write something to batch convert .csv data
> files to shapefiles.
>
> This is for a less-technical user, so I may eventually want to wrap it
> up with a few simple forms and py2exe.  (But I am getting way ahead of
> myself...)

David,

I assume you mean doing something similar to ogr2ogr but using the python
bindings.

I'd suggest looking at a few of the scripts in:

   http://www.gdal.org/srctree/pymod/samples/

In particular tigerpoly.py, vect_tr.py, vec_tr_spat.py and perhaps
assemblepoly.py and get_soundg.py.

None are exactly what you want, but several do include creating shapefiles
from scratch which should be helpful.